Sunday, October 9, 2016

Masks

Masks


Masks are used in a lot of cultures for various things, be it ritual, theatre, or something else, one thing about masks is that their style is ALWAYS unique to their respective cultures, which I find to be amazing, and each mask is such a good descriptor for their respective culture.

I really love this African mask, as it does a good job maintaining a certain look, a lot of the features are made of this diamond shape, which really brings a good visual consistency to it.


Kabuki Masks are always something I've enjoyed, as they share a consistent color palette, but the expressions are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum. This being more extreme.


But the Greek Theatre masks are the pinnacle of human expression, and I think it is an amazing example of how amazing artwork can be, even for the limited toolset of back then.


Native American masks, and artwork in general have an amazing visual style, everything about the mask is linked together by the colors on it, and everything on the mask draws your eye to a point.

Now this Deviates from what I've been talking about, as its a shift from historical masks, to masks worn in contemporary fashion. I really enjoy this mask as all its textures and bumps look like scales, and it gives me a lot to look at.


I really love this mask, as it really incorporates a natural vibe to it, but in more of an ethereal sense, like a glorification of nature.


This is the mask of Agamemnon, and old Minoan mask, that is fairly crude, but I feel like it holds a sort of place of importance due to how old it was.


I really like this deer mask, because not only of its simple geometric design, but the use of such simple materials to amazing affect makes me really enjoy this mask.


Here is another mask based in nature, but it is an adorable simplification of it, I feel like a forest sprit or something would wear this.


This final mask I really like because of its use of trash ad every day materials, which allows for real character to shine through with this mask

3 comments:

  1. vi, I like the masks I really really like it.I felt like some people in the class had the same images but your images in this are probably the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed these photos! Very interesting. All very individual, but similar at the same time. Nice job, Vi!
    ~Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is nice. I enjoyed reading your opinion on these individual masks. The photos are as well interesting as Brigid said. Great job!

    ReplyDelete